Feliks Roderyk Łabuński
composer, pianist and music educator, was born on 27 December 1892 in Ksawerynow, died on 28 April 1979 in Cincinnati (Ohio). Brother Vof ictor Łabuński. Piano learned from eight years of age, he continued in the years 1902-1909 under the direction of Roch Hill in Moscow. In the years 1911 to 1915 he studied architecture at the Polytechnic Institute in St. Petersburg. In 1921-22 he studied with Lucian Marczewski (music theory), from 1923 to 1924, with Witold Maliszewski (harmony). In 1924 he went to Paris, where he studied musicology in 1926 under the direction of Georges Migot, in the years 1926-1928 composition and counterpoint with Nadia Boulanger, from 1928 to 1930 orchestration with Paul Dukas at the École Normale de Musique.
In 1927 he co-founded the Association of Young Polish Musicians, of which he was secretary in 1927-1929, vice-president during the years 1929 to 1930 and president in the years 1930-1933.
In 1928, with the help of Ignacy Jan Paderewski, he received a scholarship to complete his studies. In 1934 he returned to Poland, where until 1936 he served as chief music editor for Polish Radio. In 1935 he was a member of the Board of Polish Music Publishing Society and served as Chairman of the contemporary music.
In 1936 he moved to the United States, in 1941 obtained U.S. citizenship. Until 1945 he lived in New York, where he worked in the Polish Art Service (up to 1938 as the head of the music, to 1940 as director), taught counterpoint, musical analysis and composition at Marymount College in Tarrytown (1940-1941), also as a guest lecturer at New York University, Columbia University, New York, Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, The National Council of Education in Ottawa, the Université Laval in Quebec.
Besides, he was in the business of journalism - ran propaganda in favor of Polish contemporary music, he wrote articles about musical life in Poland for "Modern Music" and "Musical America", prepared radio broadcasts for CBS and NBC, among others about Polish music. In the years 1941-1944 he was director of the U.S. branch of the International Society for Contemporary Music. At the same time performed recitals mostly with his own compositions, in New York, Chicago, Philadelphia and Montreal.
In 1945 he moved to Cincinnati - here he worked as professor of composition, orchestration and musical forms of Cincinnati College of Music, in 1948 initiated the Mid-West Symposium for students in composition.
In 1951 he was awarded an honorary doctorate from Chicago Music College, in 1975 - Citation of Ohiana Ohiana Library Association, in 1977 - Award of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers.